2-stroke out of oil. How much damage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2-stroke out of oil. How much damage?

Hi all. I have the option of possibly buying a 70hp 2-stroke that was run out of oil (warning system faulty). According to seller compression was lost on one or more cylinders - it still runs, but like crap. What kind of damage should be expected? Pistons? New powerhead? Bearings?

Thanks/Ted

Hello Superted,

Damage = all of the above

Actually, a rebuilt powerhead is probably the best solution to the problem ..... cost, about $1200.00

Comment

3 options -

1. walk away
      2. buy it and have a reman powerhead installed (dealer cost on reman unit is $1445, you will pay lots more
      3. rebuild what you have, but this could be just as pricy if someone else is doing the work.
      Used crank - $295
      pistons - $47 each
      gasket kit - $43
      rod bearings - $35 each
      wrist pin bearings - $6 each
      main bearings - $100 (all 3)
      rod bolts - $15 for all
      new oil pump - do not have cost on this item

This assumes you do not have damage to the block, you would at least need a bore, about $35 per hole and hopefully the rods are still good.

As you can see, even with the dealer cost on parts that I have listed, it is expensive. The local Yamaha dealer here charges $98 per hour, which makes this an expensive proposition if you buy.

If you do go with option 2 or 3, MAKE SURE you install a new oil pump and prime it. Run oil in the gas for the first 6 or so gallons to be sure things break in properly and the injection system has worked through any bubbles.

D-

Comment

If it's free you can use the lower unit. That's about the only value in that motor. I wouldn't pay a dime for it.

Mike

Comment

Guys, thanks for your efforts and valuable input! Feels like I'll probably walk away from this one...

/Ted

Comment

I don't think that it would be accurate to label the powerhead as completely toasted. While it is possible that the entire powerhead is a complete gut pile, it is really not likely that all cylinders and the crankshaft were completely damaged all at the same time.

In all likelyhood, you will probably have smoked a cylinder or two.

If you can buy it for salvage value of the lower unit and tilt assy, and maybe add on the Ebay value of the electronics, I'd jump on it.

Have fun with it.

Comment

Working...
            X