Lower Prop shaft bent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Prop shaft bent.

I have a Yamaha 250 4 stroke on my 25' parker that during my "winterizing", I found that the lower drive, prop shaft is bent, and spinning with a little "wobble". Is this a job that I can do during the changing of the impeller replacement that I will have to do this spring? I found that the lower case had about 4 oz of oil left when I drained it out to change the lower drive oil (90) weight)). Took 1 qt. to fill it back up, so I knew I was dealing with a seal problem also. I dont have a problem taking on these "jobs", but if I have to have special tools, then I may as well take it to a person that has the tools to do the job. I would like to buy the parts needed to do the job and just pay the labor.

Any comment would help alot.

Thanks,
    JMS

I am not real positive on what all specials tools are needed for your lower unit repair, but I am sure there are a few that are needed.

If you do not have a Yamaha service/repair manual for your motor get one, it will give you lots of info about all the parts and systems for your motor.
    Read up and see what steps and tools are needed to do certain repairs and then decide whether or not you want to tackle it yourself.

Comment

I had a 150 Pro-v that I bought, unbeknownst to me with a bent shaft. I brought it to an authorized Yamaha repair shop where they soaked the bearings with penetrating oil along with applying heat to bust the assembly loose. IMO, money well spent. And yes there is a special tool or two that's needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Reel Kahuna View Post
        I had a 150 Pro-v that I bought, unbeknownst to me with a bent shaft. I brought it to an authorized Yamaha repair shop where they soaked the bearings with penetrating oil along with applying heat to bust the assembly loose. IMO, money well spent. And yes there is a special tool or two that's needed.
        thnaks everyone for your replies. I will take it in and let the shop do this repair,.

Comment

Working...
        X