Shift Shaft Question '98, 60hp, 2Stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift Shaft Question '98, 60hp, 2Stroke

Pulled lower unit overhauled water pump and leak tested @ 5psi. Snoop soap showed shift shaft seal leaking air. Pulled shift shaft and black plastic housing and replaced shaft seal. Re-installed shift shaft but it does not shift like it did before removal. The shaft is splined but the hole or bore that it goes into does not look like a female-splined socket as one would expect. The bottom of the bore / hole is partialy blocked as if something moved out of position restricting the shaft from bottoming out in the bore. The only thing I can see move is the end of a large pin back toward the bore when you position the prop shaft up vertical. Move the prop shaft down vertical and the pin moves away from the shift shaft bore toward the prop shaft.

Do I need to remove the prop shaft and re-align something? Do I need to remove the drive shaft as well? Everything was going fine until this.

Sounds like the shift cam has moved out of position and probably have to disassemble gearcase to position correctly.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Shift Shaft Question

Thanks moderator. I just needed pointed in the right direction. Your efforts are appreciated. This means I'll need to pull the prop shaft and bearings, correct??

Thanks for the help!!

Comment

Working...
      X