Ethanol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethanol

I read that's it's been approved to increase to 15% in all states. Haven't read about it in the main stream media so it may just be an ugly rummor. The makers of Startron are going cha-ching.
    1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
    1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

ethanol stinks...please someone make it stop being in my gas..Purty please

Comment

its NOT ethanol.
      its the govt mandated marine technician stimulous program.

actually E15 was approved jan 1st 2011 for use in vehicles 2007 and newer, last week it was approved for 2002 and newer.
      some states,like NC where I live, DO NOT have to post ethanol content at the pump.
      E-15 will void my trucks warrenty,my F150 warrenty my Etec 175 warrenty and my wifes explorer warrenty.

E fuels are the biggest boon doggle the lobbyists and knee ****ers have hit the US taxpayer with since , well since, awww ell since I was born about 49 years ago.
      the US taxpayer pays the ethanol producers 45 cents per gallon to produce it while the import tax on cheaply produced Ethanol is still climbing.
      E fuels get less milage and require more of it due to some simple facts of physics.
      gasoline burns at about 14 parts air to 1 part fuel.
      for a given displacement that means ethanol,which burns at about 7 parts air to 1 part fuel, takes about DOUBLE the fuel for the same air displacement.
      its simple 2nd grade math.
      going from E-10 to E-15 is a 50 percent increase.

Comment

Beautiful Rodbolt but true. Ask the owner a few questions about how he maintains his fuel system and makes diagnosis easy.

Can't blame this on the Republicans or the Libs. This is because of serious lobbying. I haven't talked to a human being that says ethanol is a good thing. What's that tell you? I've been switching some of my 401K securities to ethanol industries, it's gonna be here awhile. Everyone was asleep when this was brewing and it got jammed up our a$$.

Comment

Ethanol Fuel

Hi,
          Don't any of you guys live near a marina where they sell marine fuel? Marine fuel doesn't contain ethanol. Some guys are running AV-Gas in their
          antique motors, but I wouldn't recommend that stuff as a steady every day
          diet. Octane is up in never never land. One enterprising gas station here in
          town now sells marine fuel on pump island and can't keep up with the demand.
          Tony

Comment

Tony
            thats the problem here in North Carolina, and a few other states.
            E content is NOT required to be posted on the pump.
            we do sel test kits for about 12 dollars that we use to test the E content on fuel samples.
            I have seen as much as 30%.
            I have seen 10% in gas supposedly E free.
            problem is its blended at the distribution terminal NOT at the refinery as Ethanol cannot be piped nor stored long.
            Av gas isnt reccomended at ALL for outboard use.
            reed vapor pressure and octane ratings are completly wrong and can lead to other expensive issues.
            as octane increases fuel burn time increases.
            most outboards are relativly short stroke and relativly high reving.
            its simple math to calculate actual piston speed from a dead stop at the bottom of the stroke to a dead stop at the top of the stroke.
            rough example on a two stroke engine, as the piston is heading down its compressing the crankcase mixture,as the piston goes down it uncovers the ex ports and the intake ports.
            now the combustion gasses head out of the ex port aided in being pushed out by the incoming A/F mixture.
            now the piston is headed back up. now lets assume a 3 inch stroke.
            from bottom dead center until the ports are closed then reopened will eat up about 2 inchs of piston travel.
            leaves about 2 inchs to compress the gas,light the gas,burn the gas ,and expell the spent gasses.
            at 5000 RPM this happens fairly quickly.
            if that fuel is still only half burnt it will continue burning in the exaust stack and muffler.
            leads to burned out tuners,ex divider plates and other issues.
            most air craft engines turn less than 3000 RPM.
            most have higher compression engines due to lack of oxygen in the air at 20,000 feet.
            much above that and supercharging is going to be mandatory.
            E fuels simply suck for marine and stationary units for the most part.
            ethanol and methanol are assigned an octane rating of 100 due to the fact it cant detonate.
            however both fuels burn at about 7 parts air to one part fuel.
            means in your outboard,throttle is fixed, it takes twice as much Alcohol for the same throttle openig to maintain the correct Air to Fuel ratio.
            we all have seen an oxygen Acetylyne welding rig, we have all seen the same cutting steel.
            whats the difference in the oxygen to Acetylyne ratios for cutting VS welding?
            yes its that simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Sopranzi View Post
              Hi,
              Don't any of you guys live near a marina where they sell marine fuel? Marine fuel doesn't contain ethanol. Some guys are running AV-Gas in their
              antique motors, but I wouldn't recommend that stuff as a steady every day
              diet. Octane is up in never never land. One enterprising gas station here in
              town now sells marine fuel on pump island and can't keep up with the demand.
              Tony
              I don't know where you are but all marina fuel around here (Maryland) contains ethanol.

Comment

man I did not know you were that old Rod... you are even older than me..I am a spry 42

Comment

Just read Rodbolt's explaination of how ethanol screws up our engines. Hands down, the best I've read. Like he says it is mostly bad for marine and stationary gasoline engines. Compared to the amount of cars out there, these catagories are irrelevant and not a huge voice. Members of the marine industry, Boat U.S. for example, have been lobbying to get the ethanol content eliminated or reduced in the marine gasoline. And, they're just pi$$in in the wind, because they're increasing the percentage content!! Government is making foreign manufactuers design there engines to accept this fuel.

Comment

will additives help with this ethanol nightmare????

Hi Guys,

I have a million dollar question Will Marine Fuel additives like Startron help with this ethanol nightmare????

Uncle Rob

Comment

yea Tucker...Rod does know his stuff...but dont tell him he will get the big head and all.

Comment

mostly dont tell my wife, she may expect more money then.
                        however I have worked on gasoline fueled articulated rod engines since I was about 8.
                        RC planes,cars,lawn equipment,chevy and ford dealerships.
                        was an apprentice for a VW,Audi,Porsche and mazda thing.
                        spent 6 years programming and setting up CNC lathes and mills then another 6 years in the USN as an FC,navy's advanced electronics, first 3 years I never saw a ship just did schools.
                        wish I had a learnt to spell some a bit .
                        however simple physics is just that.
                        simple physics.
                        I know 99% of the rednecks that read this are gonna zap me about NASCAR is a gonna run on somes shine.
                        look very carefully at HOW they are gonna run on shine.
                        NASCAR wont even allow the E crappola in their underground tanks, they are going to fuel the PURPOSE built ONE TIME run engines on E crappola fueled DIRECTLY from a tanker.
                        tells ya sumptin right offn da batt.
                        I dont have a solution to our oil thingy,wish I did.
                        however wind farms,bio fuels and ethanol ARE NOT long term nor cost effective solutions to our problems.
                        can they work in localized areas for fleet or plant use? sure.
                        just not for the general masses.

Comment

they just need to drill and get it all out of the ground..by the time we run out, if we run out....some body will have come up with a solution. get my food out of my gas. I am joining the wehateethanol club.

Comment

ethanol simply belongs in a tumbler with ice.
                            buy decent ethanol and it requires no mixers.

Comment

Inexpensive Ethanol Tester.

etha-test.com

$10.95 USD to your door.

Works as advertised even with oil/gas mix

Comment

Working...
                              X