Power Trim issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Trim issues.

Have a problem with my trim that I could use some advice on. My engine is trimming up by itself. It did this twice this past Sunday, once on the trip to a nearby lake and then when I put the boat in the water. Once it was in the water the trim would run until I turned the battery switch off. I put the boat on the trailer, took her home and it stopped doing it. I sprayed some cleaner in the binnacle trim switch and left the battery switch on and it never happened again. I am thinking that the trim switch on the binnacle is corroded. Any thoughts?

If it is the binnacle trim I would like to replace it to avoid this happening when I am far from the ramp. I looked at the binnacle and it has two screws on the handle, one I can get to the second I can't without removing the binnacle cover. I pulled the plastic grommet from the rear of the binnacle and there is one screw and a hole. The screw is frozen and soaking with PB Blaster now. But do I need to remove this screw to get the binnacle cover off or does it snap off?
    Once I get it off, any tricks to replacing the trim switch? I already have it in my wish list for boats.net and will pull the trigger as soon as I know I can replace it. This is for a 2002 200 HPDI.

Thanks for your assistance!

Michael

Once you remove the four screws on cover you will have squeeze the front and back of cover to get to pop up off the locater pins at base of cover inside those small holes in cover. You will need to remove handle to replace trim switch, the wire wraps around handle.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I now realize that I do not have a 2002 binnacle but a newer premium model. This is the one I believe I have:

Yamaha Outboard Parts PARTS BREAKDOWN CONTROL BINNACLE PREMIUM SINGLE Diagram.

Mine has the plastic grommet covering a single screw that hold the binnacle on. The screw is frozen and trying to get it off now.

Will update once I get the binnacle cover off.

Comment

Here is a picture of the phillips screw I am trying to get out. I have sprayed it with PB Blaster for a couple of days but it's not moving. I really don't want to drill it out and this is not something I do well. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
        X