Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150 2/stroke - internal anodes

Hi all.

Am busy overhauling my motors , and have taken on the job of replacing the 8(16 for both) anodes in the water jacket. These motors are more than 10 years old so these anodes , as you can imagine , are well and truly coroded into place

I took me about an hour to break one out, using a hammer , chisel & blow torch....

Is there an easier way , or am i doomed to forcablly remove each one the hard way

Rgds

Robert

Recall reading here that if they haven't been changed in a while to just leave them alone.
    1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
    1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

I'd just replace the ones you can get at and remove easily, no need to tear up anything. Take a wire brush to the ones you can't remove to expose some fresh metal.

Comment

Hi Gents , , wish I knew this before I started the procedure.

However , I am now down to about 20 Min to remove an old anode. Learing as I go along.

What i am doing is

Drill three 6 mm holes into the anode.Starting in the centre and then one left and right of that.

Lesson 1 : Dont drill to deep , or else you could damage the retaining bolts hole.

Using a die grinder and a 6mm grinding bit , grind away , VERY carefully , the left over anode.You not going to get at everything , so dont try to. You have to watch out that you do not damage the head gaskets seating area. The die grinder can " run away" with you

Lesson 2 : Dont try and use a drill ISO die grinder. The bit is designed for a die grinder and functions a lot better at high RPM

Using a average sized blow torch , heat up the left over pieces of the anode , and using a thin metal chisel (flat screwdriver) and hammer , chip left overs away.

Lesson 3 : wear safety glasses ...and watch those pieces are HOT

The above is alot of work , but the new anodes look quite cool in their slots.

Would i do it again...NO...next time I will head Mr Graham's advise and use a wire brush
        Last edited by Rob Welman; 01-19-2011, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X