Fuel smell in crank case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel smell in crank case

I have a 2003 8 hp high thrust outboard. I went to change the oil and noticed it had a gray tint to it and a fuel smell. I have been running it (at idle mostly) while fishing in 37 to 40 degree water for extended periods (3 to 4 hours at a time 3 times a week). We no longer have a yamaha dealer in my town so I talked to a guy who works on just about everything outboard wise. He said that my motor does not have a thermostat so the engine never heats up to normal operating temps in that water. The engine is probably running very rich and is "making oil" he called it. He said that the long idling times cause the rich running and the unburned fuel goes around the values or something and it ends up in the the crank case. I thought he was full of BS but it seem to have a little possible truth in it. He said to just check the oil alot and change it as soon as I noticed the smell or saw that grayish color change start again. The motor seems to run great. Is this guy all went or......

A 2003 T8(high thrust) does have a thermostat, number in this diagram(check your model number to see if same) Yamaha Outboard Parts 2003 T8ELHB CYLINDER CRANKCASE 1 Diagram
    Yes a cold running engine will cause it to run rich, check thermostat, need to try and run it at a higher rpm, might go to a smaller pitch prop if possible to keep rpm's up.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for the reply. After I signed up for the site, I just typed my question. Then, like I should have done in the first place, I checked thru other questions and see this has been asked and answered a few times. Your answer leads me to another question. Can I run a regular prop on the high thrust model? Was told when I bought the motor and wanted to buy an extra prop that it had to be the big three blade high thrust type or it would cause problems in the gear case. Did I get bent over and screwed out of an extra $35 skins (the standard prop was about that much less I recall)?

Comment

Yes you can use props other than the dual thrust props.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X