Filter Screens in HP Fuel Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filter Screens in HP Fuel Pump

Several weeks ago I posted a thread called Unidentifiable Fuel Filters. I was trying to determine where a couple of very small filters were located in the fuel system of a 200 hp HPDI engine. I determined they were located in the High Pressure pump within the recesses for the hose connections for the hoses leading to the fuel rails.

They are very small, about 3/16" diameter and about 3/8" long. They have a brass ring at the top. My dealer has replaced them before, but I can't see how to get them out of the pump to replace them myself. He did not destroy them when he took them out. Are they a press fit? Do they get drilled out? The brass ring has no threads on it. Anyone have any tips on this?

Use A Sheet Rock or wood screw, turn about 1 and a half full turns and pull the screw out. They are called Micro Basket filters and are 6mm x 3mm x 14mm with a 3 micron screen. It is the same filter that is located in the high presure fuel pump. They cost $1 each and there is 2 located in the high presure pump on a 150 and 4 in a 250 and 300.

Comment

Originally posted by tdillon@voselectric.com View Post
      They cost $1 each and there is 2 located in the high presure pump on a 150 and 4 in a 250 and 300.
      Where do you buy them for $1 each?

Comment

Recall reading a multipage post on THT about these screens, they had pics and a procedure on how to replace them and yea, a sheet metal screw was the tool. A guy that lived what you're going through now sourced out replacements that were dirt cheap. Don't have these motors so I don't know if they are as good as OEM. I always thought these HPDI's where the hot lick but they do seem a bit high maintenance.
        1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
        1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

all efi/di outboards seem to be very high maintenance to me also...going back to my carbs

Comment

Yea, now what you mean Sparkie, I went from the OX66 back to carbs. Not by desire the 200 carbed motors just happened to be on the boat. Problem is the carbed motors go through gas like beer at a frat party. The FI and HPDI tune on the fly and can lean the mixture down as low as possible.

Comment

yes they are lighter on fuel..but take a look at the parts list...many parts on these efi/di motors are $700 ++ many way over $1K...and these parts do go bad as can be evidenced in the pages of these forums. average part for a carbbed motor is around $100-300 (power pack, coils, stator, fuel pump)...I have not looked at the price for a fuel pump on that OX66 but I bet it aint cheap...

What do you think the difference in fuel usage is?? I would think no more than 33%..just guessing...but if you spend $3000 on fuel in a year, you would potentially save $1000...now whats the price difference between a carrbed motor and an EFI/DI???
              next what is the maintenance cost savings by using a carrbed motor??? ( I will save more because I can do my own labor and get to skip the shop cost) I know I have carbbed motors I have used for many years with around $100-150 per year, average cost to maintain..

and i have been fishing 4 times in the last 2 months..glad I have not sold my old 1989 bass boat with a 1989 carbbed 110 Evinrude on it that cranks and runs like a champ..cause my 2003 115 yammy EFI 4-stroke is not running right and has already been to one shop and is currently at the 2nd outboard repair shop...this is the first outboard i have ever had to take to a shop as I can troubleshoot/repair my on own if it is carbbed.

Think about the middle of June and fishing is just taking off good and suddenly your EFI/DI motor starts acting up, you check and do everything you know to do and then you call the local repair shop and they say "bring it on in, we can fix it fer ya, should be able to get to it in 4 - 6 weeks or so"..and you drop it off and they say we should give you a call sometime in august.
              well that just sux
              Last edited by Sparkieboat; 02-25-2011, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Yup, preaching to the choir Spark. Good grief I gotta show your post to the wife so she doesn't think it's just me that thinks that way. Like cars, the new ob's need to be plugged in. So, in addition to investing thousands of $ in the testing equipment you need guys like rodbolt to interprete the data correctly. Unfortunately the service industry doesn't have that many guys. Had a guy in my marina that had a pair of those big 350 V8's and one had a problem. The dealer in the marina couldn't fix it and Yammi had to fly a guy in. So, yea, I can buy a lot of gas for what those big thumpers cost to buy and maintain. I'm told you can't get out of the shop for less than a grand. And that's just routine maintenance.

Comment

if my post does not convince her, show her High sierras post in this same forum, titled stalling F150 .. they flew in a Master Tech from Yamaha 2 or 3 weeks ago after being worked on by the local Yamaha dealer for over 7 weeks...he has still not got his boat back, he is real lucky he purchased the extended warranty or he would be having to just scrap this $15,000 motor. they have passed the worth of the motor in labor cost already.

Comment

all ya gotta do is read.
                    the DFI/EFI systems that yamaha uses is dirt simple.
                    however one must actually READ and study a bit on how it works and why.
                    I have never,in 20+ years, called yamaha to fix any issues.
                    you realize most tech reps never had actual field experience?.
                    however soon its possible that either Yamaha or Volvo is going to gain a tech with some actual field experience.
                    I really REALLY hope to NEVER own another carbed outboard.
                    unless I move to venezuela like I desire.

Comment

I have dibs on Costa Rica...
                      If every Yamaha Tech was a clone of Rodbolt, owning a EFI/DI may not be so bad, as long as you have the $$$$ to pay for his private Island in Venezuela...

But I am addressing what makes sense for ME...because I am not a Master Tech with a shop full of tools and expensive diagnostic equipment and years of training and knowledge at my immediate disposal, and get parts at wholesale cost..it is stupid for me to own one of todays EFI/DI dirt simple, yet amazingly complex motors, (that I can not even get a computer hook up even if I wanted to pay @#$%^^&**%$% $500 for a stupid cable and pc program, cause Yamaha cannot even seem to provide said cable and has them back order for infinity) , that many techs across this country seem to be having major issues fixing what should be minor issues...It just makes $$$ and sense for me to own and use carbbed outboard motors that I can maintain myself for low cost, for me it is all about bottom line..

and the bottom line is that for ME carbbed motors are less costly to maintain and operate and I do not have to worry about being with out my boat for weeks on end during fishing season. If your name is Rodbolt, then I am sure EFI/DI is a great way to go.
                      dang all I got to do is change my name and whala problem solved

Comment

Ok by tech reps do you mean the guys that talk to the customers?? Never have I seen any dealer let the techs talk directly to customers. This applies to auto dealerships also. Never could figure out why. It's either the customer can't understand what the tech is telling them or the tech rep has enough BS to convince the customer what he wants them to know.
                        As far as finding stuff to read on our equipment, the only thing I kinow that is available is the shop manual. That doesn't diagnose problems it just shows how stuff goes back together. What else is out there? We are blessed to have this forum and the sharp guys that tune in.
                        I know Venezuala, It's probably the most beautiful country in South America...run by a thug. The best thing that could happen to Venezuala is what is happing in Mid East and Lybia. Never been to Costa Rica. Understand you can go cheap and party cheap, very friendly to foreigners.

Comment

Never mind, tech rep is the guy at the end of the 800 number the dealer techs call when they're stumped. So you got the blind leading the blind...nice.

Comment

about the only reason I call my tech rep is for warrenty autherization.
                            other than that there isnt much to talk about.
                            I did a pair of F225 motors today that another tech looked at for 5 hours friday, engines idled about 1000-1100 RPM.
                            took me less than 25 minutes and a digital multimeter to correct both.
                            tech had the laptop on it friday, no codes.
                            I did point out the TPS voltage,although in range at .74, was high.
                            reset both TPS voltages to .695 and they now idle about 750-800 on the flusher.
                            spec is .7 plus or minus .05V.

Comment

Can you tell me were I can buy these filters.. I just took my 200 hp HPDI off my Parker in Loreto Mexico and brought home to Corona. Been fighting a fuel problem the last year. Changed all the filters 3 times and this last trip couldn't get motor to rev over 2,000 rpm when in gear.
                              Last edited by jsdemoman; 03-01-2011, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X