Question for the pro's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the pro's

I have a 1998 model 115 O/B. My problem is that when I turn the key all the motor does is click. I checked the battery and ground, both seem to be good. It was starting after a few tries and sounded strong, but now not starting at all. This has really gotten me baffled.If I trim the motor it will trim up and down with no problem until I turn the key. Once the motor starts clicking, the trim does the same thing. Do any of the experts know anything? Any help would be appreaciated.
    Thanks

botrfreek,
    It really sounds like a bad connection somewhere.
    First make sure the starting battery is fully charged. Check all connections at the battery, especially the heavy black (ground) and red (12 volt) cables. Examine these cables carefully.
    Then check the other end of the black and red cables at the motor. The red goes directly to the starting relay and the black directly to the starter. Examine these connections carefully - make sure are not corroded and they need to be tight.
    Now check the other connections to the relays, especially the heavy cable that connects the starter relay to the starter.
    If none of the above fixes your problem, then I would suspect a bad starter relay, or maybe a bad starter.
    Good Luck,
    Ken K

Comment

run a HOT jumper cable to the starter HOT lead and see if you get any reaction,with key on.

Comment

Working...
      X