1989 4hp water pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 4hp water pump

I have a 1989 4 hp yamaha outboard (4sf). It starts and runs fine with water discharging out the hole at idle speed. After running at high RPM for about a minute or two water starts to sputter out of the hole and then stops completely. I shut the engine off then start it again and water will discharge out the hole again as long as I remain at low RPM.The water discharge problem returns as soon as I go to about 2/3 throttle. I am thinking that this must be a water pump going bad and would like to replace. I see that I can get a yamaha water pump repair kit for not much money and am pretty handy at this kind of thing. Money being tight I am considering doing the job myself but have not really done a lot of outboard repair work. Is this a job that a competent guy can do on his own? Will I save much over taking it into a shop? Am I on the right track that it is a water pump problem?

Hello Little4,

Sounds like a water pump issue. Typically, water pump replacement is a "piece of cake" ..... I would suggest you get your hands on a shop manual before you tackle the job.

Comment

Thanks TripleB.

Yeah, I would want to get the shop manual before I do it. Does the Yamaha water pump repair kit contain all the parts that I would need?

Comment

Little4,
        Man, I didn't even know Yamaha made a water cooled engine that small! Neat!
        Yes, the water pump kit will have every thing you need for the job - except thread sealer, marine grease, and a torque wrench - all of which I recommend highly.
        Get yourself a Yamaha shop manual at www.yamahpubs.com . It will indicate where to use the thread sealer and grease, and torque specs. I use Permatex 14A thread sealer with Teflon - got it at local hardware store.
        Good luck,
        Ken K

Comment

Working...
        X