115 prop shaft vertical play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 115 prop shaft vertical play

I've got twin 1996 Yamaha 130s. While changing the lower unit oil I noticed the Prop on the port engine had more vertical and side play than the stbd engine. There is no spec for this in the manual I have. I have measued the max vertical play of the aft end of the prop shaft at .025 inches. There was no water in the lower unit oil and no excessive metal shavings. The end play was good. This is the left hand rotating gearcase, which I believe has two prop shafts? I wasn't sure whether this much vertical play was a problem or not. Any suggestions. thanks

There should be little or no up and down motion in shaft, You may want to have a dealer look at it to see if it is excessive

Comment

I talked with the dealer service manager who is a friend of mine, and of course he didn't know anything, but one of his mechanics walked by and got into our conversation and said they never even addressed this in Yamaha school and that he's never seen a spec on it either. He also said that he would have to just "tear into it", well, if nothing is broke why tear into it? Thanks for your reply

Comment

Working...
      X