No announcement yet.

Oil injection or mixed fuel???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's taken me too many years to realize that it's a waste of time thinking about the way things SHOULD be instead of thinking about the way things are and what to do about it. Guy's are going to change their stats, fuel pumps, and water pumps but completely overlook the oilers. I say this not because I'm smart but because I read alot. These forums are the best thing that ever happened to the DIY'r. The Yam oiler may be the best out there but it's still high maintenance and prone to problems as it ages. Hey, don't take my word for it, just search the forums.
    1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
    1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

Forgot to ask Reel, what do you think of that new diesel outboard? Believe it's made in Florida and suppose to use half the fuel of a gas engine. No flippin' oiler required...

Comment

Forgot to ask Reel, what do you think of that new diesel outboard? Believe it's made in Florida and suppose to use half the fuel of a gas engine. No flippin' oiler required...

Comment

high maint?
          what do you want? an anvil?
          once a year you change the remote tank filter every 6 months you drain the engine tank water trap and test the alarm.
          other than that there isnt any maint required on the V4-V6 two stroke oil systems.
          keep it clean,keep the remote tank dry and it can work 20 years that I know of.
          when you see a diesel outboard of 200-300 HP then it may be worth looking at.

Comment

Hey rod is this mantaince needed on 90hptlry carby

Moved my tank over to check all fuel lines and have look at workings. I noticed the hose on top tank was fuel hose that wrapped around over top to front of motor. The lower hose which I think is original wraped up under fly wheel. Maybe to allow no pressure on system when oil is needed? Not sure why they would change way factory set it up. I think the lower hose on tank connects to upper fitting on tank with clear plastic tube(factory manual). Does tank have hard time loosing the sucking affect oil pump. The bottom hose pointed down when I was not looking and oil started to hit floor pretty good.
            Last edited by 200090tlry; 01-12-2011, 08:27 PM.

Comment

200090tlry
              post a new thread, the inline 3 oiling is very much different than the V engines.
              no fuel lines should attach anywhere on the oil tank.

Comment

I have very limited knowledge of diesel outboards. I know that Yanmar made a D27 and a D36 in the late 90’s and it is my belief they discontinued the engines. As far as a Yamaha diesel they make a 422 that is made in an overseas location and to my knowledge is not sold in the U.S.

Maritime Engineering Group (MEG) based in Fort Myers Florida is the company I believe you are referring too. In 2007 MEG posted a press release that contained information that they were testing 2.3L and 3.0L diesel outboards. The diesel outboards are supposed to be powerful, reliable, and of a decent weight. How powerful, reliable, and light weight is the question? We will have to see when they release more data. If they have I have not seen it and would like to.

In general, diesel engines are more fuel efficient. This is due to the simple fact they turn less r.p.m’s and are generally heavier in weight. I believe with today’s manufacturing advances and new light weight building materials weight would not be as much of an issue. Also, diesel engines are of less horsepower but make up for that in torque. As we all know horsepower does not make you “go” but torque does. With a good gear reduction I can see a diesel engine work well in an outboard application. The only concern would be the initial cost of a modern day diesel powered outboard accompanied with higher fuel prices. In today’s market diesel is no longer cheaper than gasoline. I am not sure if the added cost of a modern diesel outboard engine accompanied with more expensive fuel is in the budget for the weekend fisherman.

I grew up being taught that diesel fuel is a by-product from making gasoline and was sold cheap. With the emission laws becoming increasingly more strict diesel engines are becoming more environmentally friendly. Diesel fuel is now refined to a much higher standard and has an ultra-low sulfur content and has a lubricant additive mixed in. This is said to be the reason for added cost at the pump.

I must run for now sorry about the lengthy response I wanted to answer your question the best I could.

Reel Insane

Comment

3-Liter diesel Maritime Engineering Group, Inc. With fuel costs going crazy this will surely be looked at for the commercial market, If it's any good.

Comment

I went to the Maritime website and looked at the specs they have listed. The specs are pretty impressive thus far and the vidoes are pretty cool too. The weight is a little higher than I thought it would be but, not bad in the long run. They had cost comparisons listed from what their experiences are this far as far as maintenance and usage. If what they have listed is accurate the engine would be great for guides and people that run their boat daily depending on initial cost and installation. I run my boat every weekend and a couple of days throughout the week weather permitting. I would love to trial an engine for them when they get that far. I may look into just that here in the near future.

I am excited about this diesel outboard.

Of course I will never get rid of my Yamaha!!!

Reel Insane

Comment

I read on another forum that small ferry boats on some tropical resort islands run their outboards all day 7-days. Those industries and law enforcement, Coast Guard, etc will love this. Not seeing much about it though, bet it has issues.

Comment

While on the subject

I am new to this site. I am redoing/restoring my seventh boat. Five have been powered by Yamahas. They have all had the auto oil injection systems and I never had any problems with them.

The boat I am working on now is a '91 Grady White Dolphin 25 with 2 Yamaha 200s. This is the first boat with hull mounted oil fills. The remote tanks on the other boats were filled at the tanks themselves. These tanks have 1 1/2" hoses attached to the fill ports and then up to fills on the gunwale. My question is this. When filling the tank with oil, when do you stop? Don't the tanks have a full mark?

Thanks for any comment.

Comment

2006 OX oil system

Its a great system..once a year remove remote tank,,clean,change the little screen filter and check all hoses for kinking and routing...also give the oil pump a shot of deoxit on the 4 bullet connets on the back of tank....on the sub tank (motor) there is a 2" water trap that should get pushed off an...(on bottom of tankd drained/checked.. as a pro with 35+ yrs<< I can say the motor will like it better in the long run than 50/1(premix).....and guys dont think about the variable oil mixture that saves carbon buildup.......And 1 more thing to think about...when your Idleing out the jaws at 850 rpm or so then tag the throttles open (wot) your running on a very lean oil mixture...the fuel in the VST is clse to 100 to 1 at idle,,... and then.... VS 50 to 1 when wot.....smart guys will throttle up a bit slower to get that richer oil in the injectors,, to feed those squerrels,, that drink more than I do !!! LOL
                          Last edited by bajakeith; 04-27-2013, 11:30 PM. Reason: bad typing

Comment

Originally posted by Reel Insane View Post
                            As I read through the posts I started to laugh at all the responses. I did get a bit excited over the “if it is not broke don’t fix it” response. I am a firm believer in leaving things alone if they are not broke. On the other hand I am a big advocate on upgrading individual systems if it will improve overall efficiency of the whole engine. I applaud Fordfan1 for asking the question in the first place. Asking questions and getting multiple responses allows an individual to research better about the decision being made.

Since we are throwing out professional credentials I will throw mine out. I am an ASE certified Master Diesel Technician and have been for 10 years now. I am a newcomer to the outboard engine world (for the past 4 years now) and so far have been enjoying it. I am not a newcomer to boating as I have been in and around the water my whole life. I practically lived on my father’s 57’ custom sport fish.

Another item that concerns me is the fact that someone stated that a particular item is more high maintenance than the rest of the engine and gets overlooked or not maintained. I agree that the engines being manufactured now days do require more maintenance than they did in past years (even though manufacturers are trying to make engines that require less maintenance). In my opinion it is the owner’s responsibility to research and keep up with all maintenance aspects of their vessel. On the other hand it is also the dealer’s responsibility to properly inform the new owner of the type of maintenance that needs to be performed and when that service needs to be done.

I believe the number one cause of premature engine failures is not the design of the engine but the maintenance that engine receives. Every engine needs a visual inspection on a routine basis. If that is performed the dry rotted/cracked hoses and other defects will be identified and once again left up to the owner to correct.

Fordfan1 keep the questions coming, as asking questions and research combined will keep you on the water longer and hopefully out of the shop.

In the words of Tred Barta
                            “Till next Tide”

Reel Insane
                            Replying back to the original question in this thread, After my 1991 115 went into seawater for a second time and was thus rebuild for a second time, decided to install a new oil pump. I know Rodbolt says they are bulletproof but since my old pump was in direct contact with water twice, decided to invest in some peace of mind.
                            I also run the engine on a slight premix, target at 300:1, knowing that even a sniff of oil in petrol can be a lifesaver under circumstances. Finally adjusted the carb/oil pump connecting rod slightly more open, to have more oil spraying into the crankcase.
                            The engine is smoking a bit more but I am sure that for such an old lady, it's better to having her operating with more oil than with less.

Comment

Working...
                            X