Whine in a 2005 F150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whine in a 2005 F150

I had a whine in my 2005 Yamaha F150 that was rpm related that was diagnosed as a dying counterbalance crankshaft gear/shaft assembly. Around $750 plus labor. I was helped by my Yamaha dealer and by the Regional Technical Assistants at Yamaha and although my outboard was out of warranty it still only had 139 hours total use.
    Yamaha replaced the assembly with an upgraded one at no charge and the engine is super quiet, purrs at idle and leaps to action on my 18ft Grady.
    I am here touting the super customer service I received with a great Yamaha product from my dealer at Lakeside Marine in Castaic CA and the folks at Yamaha. They call it out of warranty goodwill. I call it terrific customer care. It takes a good company with excellent resources and desire to make things right and the people to implement it that makes Yamaha a cut above the rest. They really helped me enjoy their products.

thats been my findings dealing with F150 balancer issues.
    only one I have not seen covered was a commercial one,2.5 years out of warrenty and 3300+ hours and the guy ran it till it died completly.

Comment

Originally posted by johnstanleyho View Post
      I had a whine in my 2005 Yamaha F150 that was rpm related that was diagnosed as a dying counterbalance crankshaft gear/shaft assembly. Around $750 plus labor. I was helped by my Yamaha dealer and by the Regional Technical Assistants at Yamaha and although my outboard was out of warranty it still only had 139 hours total use.
      Yamaha replaced the assembly with an upgraded one at no charge and the engine is super quiet, purrs at idle and leaps to action on my 18ft Grady.
      I am here touting the super customer service I received with a great Yamaha product from my dealer at Lakeside Marine in Castaic CA and the folks at Yamaha. They call it out of warranty goodwill. I call it terrific customer care. It takes a good company with excellent resources and desire to make things right and the people to implement it that makes Yamaha a cut above the rest. They really helped me enjoy their products.

I just talked with Yamaha customer service and they wont help me with my 04 F150 and only 95 hrs. They say extended warranty was up in 09 and there is nothing they can do.

Would you happen to have the names of the Yamaha regional technical assistants that helped you?

Greg

Comment

Yamaha changed presidents recently, since then the goodwill stuff and fixing known design flaws has quit.
        good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
          Yamaha changed presidents recently, since then the goodwill stuff and fixing known design flaws has quit.
          good luck.

Thanks for the reply rodbolt! I am up in Canada and had talked with Yamaha Canada and they were ready to do the repairs UNTIL they found out the motor was sold in the US, too bad for me.

Is this a tough job? Thanks, Greg

Comment

easy job.
            takes about 1.5 hours.
            make sure you line up the marks on the cam belt drive sproket with the tab on the block and make sure the balancer timing marks are lined up at reassembly.
            there is a tech bulliten on how to do it without removing the flywheel.

Comment

I have a late 2006 F150 with 140 hours on it - so far no problems but all this balancer talk is making me a little nervous.

I found this youtube video clip with the balancer whine. Thought you guys might like to hear it.

Yamaha F150 outboard - with balancer noise - YouTube

Todd

Comment

Working...
              X