trim/tilt relay question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trim/tilt relay question

Hi guys I have a question about the relays used on the power trim/tilt motors. I have twin Yamaha 85's on my boat and on of those relays went bad (engine started to go up by itself) so I removed it and I could still raise and lower the engine without the relay with the individual switch (the switch on the lever has never worked) What's the use of the relay in the system? Maybe for when you use the switch that tilts up and down both engines at the same time?? There was one relay for trimming up and one for trimming down. Both power trim up connected to one of them and both power trim down connected to the other one.
    The relays were inline with the wiring harness in between the harness and the trim switches. Here are some pics of the relays:

Thanks for the help.

thats the blocking diode/relay assy that allows one switch to control both engines OR individual switchs that can control thier respective engine using a single harness.
    there are only a handful of manuals that actually show it in the harness, and its not avalible anyway.
    can ya post a picture of the socket it was plugged into?
    its also possible someone tried a jury rig thats gone wrong.

Comment

I know that the switch that controls both trims at the same time is bad so I eliminated it and just use the individual switches. I also removed both of the relays that are in the pic. Is this OK?? I'll post a pic of the socket tomorrow during the day and Thanks

Comment

the trim relays are on the engine.
        thats a blocking diode assy.
        its only function in life is to allow 3 switchs to control two engines.
        and still use the standard 10 pin main harness.

Comment

Thanks, I'll send you the pic of the plug in the afternoon.

Comment

Here are 2 pics of the socket:

Comment

Working...
            X