• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gearcase removal

v4 and 2.6L carbed and OX66.
    shift to N.

trim engine up.
    switch battery off or remove the negative cable.
    remove engine emergency stop lanyard.
    remove the rubber/plastic plug at the aft end of the midsection just above the gearcase.
    use a12mm socket and remove the trim tap, bolt is beneath that rubber plug.
    use a 14mm socket and remove the bolt from the trim tab pocket.
    look closely at the fwd end just abobe the gearcase,locate the gray rubber line, cut the tie strap and dissconect the speedo line( gray rubber).
    remove the propellor, make sure you dont cut yourself as some props get sanded to razor sharp. some can cut you through a glove.
    now remove the 6 14mm hex bolts,3 each side, and remove the gearcase.

to reinstall,insure the case is still in N.
    tip, for the speedo line, stick a wire tie down the line a bit.
    this gives an easier shot and getting the line back up the hole.
    now carefully insert the driveshaft up the midsection, as the case gets close 3 things have to happen, the water pump tube must line up,the shift shaft splines must line up and the driveshaft splines must line up.
    by gently swiveling the case left and right the drive shaft splines will line up, TAKE CARE not to swivel to much or you will snap off the speedo tube nipple.
    now hold the unit straight and the water tube lines up, now using one finger carefully line up the upper shift shaft to the lower, push the unit up.
    if the two case dowl pins are now in the holes insert a bolt and snug it up.
    test shifting, DO NOT shift into reverse without turning the propshaft.
    insert the rest of the bolts and tighten per service manual.

F 4cyl inline engines follow the same procedure only not all use a speedo dissconnect.

2.6L HPDI does not use a speedo dissconnect.

3.3L and 3.1L do not use a speedo dissconect AND have an eighth bolt located about 3" fwd of the bolt you removed from the trim tab pocket.

F200 and up, same as the 3.3 and 3.1.

that 8th bolt bites a lot of techs .

inline 3cyl above 50 HP use the same as the v4 and 2.6L only the bolt sizes may be smaller.
    below that and it simply depends on the year of manufacture.
    hopefully this weekend I can start on how to replace the water pump assy.

Thanks Rodbolt I am sure it will help many that have not done this before.
    I would also recommend marking the trim tab position before removing if it is turned and not completely straight so you can get it back the way it was.

Comment

Nice Rodbolt

Hey Rodbolt,

You write very well. As a result. no pictures needed for water pump R & R for my SX200TXRX...just word it out. You are half done with this great post.

Rob

Comment

Working...
      X