Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2000 year 90hp tlry lower unit leaks bad!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 year 90hp tlry lower unit leaks bad!

I have the lower unit off and pressure tested found air through shifter seal, air also comming through lower part water pump. I can see a bearing around drive shaft does this mean part above seals out gear oil below and water above. What direction should thes seals be installed. My manual say's most seals lip ridges face up, the drive shaft seal metal coil band is facing down towards the motor. Any help would be appreciated, I want this fixed. The diagram shows I should have two seals on driveshaft below water pump, now whats correct position of them. I ordered a new driveshaft housing and every seal on motor maybe those seals will be mounted correct at $44 bucks it should have them. Looks like some rust on one seals can I polish this area on shaft.
    Last edited by 200090tlry; 12-16-2010, 12:22 PM.

shift shaft seal goes in with the open side facing inwards, ALL the rest of the seals,prop and driveshaft, go in with the spring side facing outward.
    measure the seal depth on the propshaft carrier BEFORE removing them. not all manuals tell you the seal seating depth and a few will simply tel you to use the previously recorded depth that the teardown sequence forgot to mention.

Comment

shift shaft open side?

Here is a picture of the little seal around shifter thingy. When I found it, she was half in and out. I tapped it back down. Ive gone ahead and ordered new covers for both areas with all new seals throughout. If I had known about this forum I would be buying my parts YOP. There was little rust im wondering if the shafts on these yammys are stainless steel. Going to 400 grit wet sand paper but try and not go crazy where seals go. Also any idea if I need to use rtv on exhaust side. Am I missing a gasket? From the looks of this outboard could be rebuilt lower unit gone bad im seeing some scratches and dings. The prop seal im planning on leaving alone, have no idea how to replace.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by 200090tlry; 12-17-2010, 12:58 AM.

Comment

second pic indicates a monkey had it apart last.
        spring goes AWAY from the case, or up.
        first photo worries me, the shaft rust is normal, almost all stainless metal will do that, what worries me is the amount of rust on the bearing.

Comment

I would have to agree the bearing is rusted and who knows how bad the gears and other bearings are. I would open it all up and have a look.
          It will not run for very long with rust pitted bearings and gears
          Last edited by 99yam40; 12-17-2010, 07:46 PM.

Comment

*** spring goes up?

There are two seals in that housing. Lower portion towards the lower unit spring is facing down, other spring is facing up. I ordered a new $44 kit will the new seals already be installed correct. Some of that orange color is pbblaster. Thinking of just run what ya brung and using this. Seems everything is tight. Here is diagram of seals there is squiggly in drawings does this tell us how they need to be installed?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by 200090tlry; 12-18-2010, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X