90 hp missing at low end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 hp missing at low end

I have 98 90 hp Yamaha. Bought it used a few years ago. It has always been rough at the low end of rpm's. When it gets above about 3500 it runs like a dream. Carbs have been soaked 3 years running. Yam mech went for ride and said it sounded like engine was dropping a cyl in the low end range, but he had never seen the problem before and didn't have any other solutions. Question is: can a firing coil act like this before it goes completely dead?

outnumbered,
    I would not expect the coil to act up as you have described. What do you mean "carbs have been soaked three years running"?
    I would do a shock treatment with Seafoam on that Yammie three banger if it has not been de-carbonized in the last three years. Put in new plugs and run a can of Seafoam in tank of 16 gallons of fuel. If that doesn't help, then carb rebuild may be in order.
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Carbs have been taken off as a yearly service and soaked to remove any gum-- however, no other rebuilding. Is the seafoam a product available at outlet such as West Marine? There has been no decarbonizing in the 4 years I have had the engine.

Comment

outnumbered,
        I purchased Seafoam locally at Advance Auto, but I think most major auto supply stores carry it.
        Good luck,
        Ken K

Comment

Working...
        X