Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you hone/polish bearing ends of 2 stroke con rods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you hone/polish bearing ends of 2 stroke con rods?

Good day folks , trust that your are having a good and safe festive season.

I have stripped both my 150 V6's and i note that majority of the conrods have marks /blemishes, that have been left by the rollers of the big and small end bearings

Can these marks be removed by using a fine grade honing tool?Is the honing/polishing of conrods a practice that is carried out in the industry?.

Any feedback / guidance appreciated

Best regards and have a blessed Xmas

Rob

I would think that any indention or pitting of the surfaces the bearing ride on would be a bad thing. If you smooth them out far enough to remove the indention or pitting you would be removing a lot of metal and lose the tolerances that was built into the motor crank and rods along with the pistons wrist pins

Comment

Thank you for your prompt reply

So they can be honed / polished. Do they have special coatings that can be damaged by honing/polishing?

I would naturally check that they remain within spec/tollerence before using them.

Regards

Robert

Comment

no coatings, however if the blemish is large enough to trap a roller that roller will become a slider just before it exits the block.
        its a judgement call that I cannot make from behind a monitor.

Comment

As a auto mechanic I have reconditioned rods back in the 70's but I have not heard of anyone doing it to an outboard motor rod

Comment

Thanks for all the input folks ,i really appreciate it

What I have done so far is,

I have taken the "worse" conrod and honed the small end. Whats i have found is that the honingstone leaves very fine scratches , which I think could cause a problem with the rollers on the small end. I will polish/buff it tonight.I will buff with 1600 sand paper this evening

Will hone / polish the big end tonight & check specs on both ends.

Will also post some pics of the other rods , with marks , to get your input

I know it sound like a lot of effort... but I hate wasting a resource if it is usable and still has life left in it.

The rods that I do find to be US will be sent to the scrap yard.

Comment

Working...
            X