2 Stroke RPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Stroke RPM

I'm planning a project to fit a motorcycle alternator in place of the engine on a small outboard leg, ie in the 2 -3hp class to act as a water turbine. (for a sailing boat)

Q: Anyone done this before?

Q: I'm looking for ballpark figures for engine and prop RPM so I can work out if the speeds I need are within the bearings/gearing capabilities. Are these things geared 1:1 or is there a reduction? If so what sort of ratio are we looking at? I'd probably prefer a slower "prop" and higher ratio to speed up the alternator. Would a 4 stroke leg be different?

Q: Will the prop thrust bearing stand being "pulled" instead of "pushed" because with an impellor (as opposed to a propellor) fitted the thrust on the bearing is reversed. An alternative might be to turn the leg to face the water-flow, but would that give other problems, eg drag or lube-water flow?

Q: Any good ideas welcome.

Most of small hp models have a 2:1 gear ratio in gearcase, never seen it done not sure what problems might run into.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I would not think the prop would have enough surface area to turn the shaft fast enough and with enough torque to get anything out of it

Comment

Agree. You would only get about 1900 rpm at 10 mph.

Here is a prop calculator link.

Propeller Calculator / Prop Calculator
        Stanley Islander 19, 2006 Yamaha F150TLRC. Ottawa, Canada
        16' York River, 1986 Yamaha PRO 50.

Comment

But I haven't said what prop I'm planning to use! Not that a conventional prop would work in the first place.

Comment

Working...
          X