Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Throttle slipping on 2001 OX66 250hp (help, please)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle slipping on 2001 OX66 250hp (help, please)

I just purchased a 2002 Contender 23 Open w/ this engine on it (only 80 hours), and the only problem I'm seeming to have is that anywhere north of 3000rpm, I have to hold the throttle control arm in place or it slowly and steadily slips to a lower rpm. Is there any way to tighten this up? I can't imagine having to hold the throttle in place on hour-plus runs. Thanks in advance for any help.

hyd-n-seek,
    There is a friction adjustment screw under the cover of the 704 binnacle control (if that is what you have). I believe the cover is held on by four screws. The friction screw is at the front and towards the top of the control assy. Turn cw for more fricton - ccw for less.
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

Thanks, Ken. I saw those two screws (directly on top once the cover is removed -- each has a locking nut at the base. I tried adjusting both, and it seemed to help, but then I noticed that the rpms were jumping around somewhat erratically while the control arm was in a stable position (3600, 3800, 3900, 3700). Was this caused by my adjusting the rear screw? If the front one is the friction adjustment screw is at the front, what is the rear screw for? Thanks for your help.

Dave

Comment

Dave,
        I just checked my manual on the 704 remote control - what you adjusted was the throttle opening when in free throttle - two screws that are held in place by a locknut at the base.
        The friction adjustment for the control lever is set by a screw that is at the REAR (not the front as I previously stated) of the assy - can't tell if it is slotted or philips head just by looking at the picture in the manual, but it will be visible.
        I don't think any adjustment you have made so far would cause the rpms to vary.
        Good luck,
        Ken K

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply, Ken. I think I need to get my hands on one of those repair manuals.

Comment

Dave,
            The manual I am quoting from is the 704 owners manual - go to www.yamahapubs.com and look up your particular remote control. Use to, Yamaha would let you download owners manuals for free.
            Good luck,
            Ken K

Comment

Working...
            X