Tilt problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tilt problems

I have a Yamaha F100, year 2003. The trim stopped working a while ago, I was triming the engine up and I heard the motor slowing down and eventually stopped, it has not worked since. i have tried connecting the battery directly to the motor to see if the problem is with the relay switch, nothing happened. I have have also checked that the motor is not ceased. Any ideas what might be wrong before I spend a heap of money for a mechanic to take a look at it?... Andy

Are you sure you don't have a dead battery? Load test to be sure.
    Stanley Islander 19, 2006 Yamaha F150TLRC. Ottawa, Canada
    16' York River, 1986 Yamaha PRO 50.

Comment

I double chacked the battery, when its fully charged there is still nothing happeing with the motor.

Comment

remove the 10ga blue and green trim motor wires from the trim relay.
        useing a set of jumper wires take the blue to battery + and the green to battery(engine) ground.
        should go up, reverse the leads and it goes down.
        if it does not odds are high the trim motor failed

Comment

Trim Problem

I have removed the trim assembly from the boat to investigate this problem further and am pretty sure that the motor has failed, are the any common problems worth trouble shooting, or would it be easier to replace the entire motor assembly?

Comment

More expensive at any rate. Might just be a ground. Why not follow Rodbolts advice?
            Stanley Islander 19, 2006 Yamaha F150TLRC. Ottawa, Canada
            16' York River, 1986 Yamaha PRO 50.

Comment

While holding the switch in the up or down position, tap the motor housing two or three times with a little hammer. If the motor brushes are faulty, then this might work

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                remove the 10ga blue and green trim motor wires from the trim relay.
                useing a set of jumper wires take the blue to battery + and the green to battery(engine) ground.
                should go up, reverse the leads and it goes down.
                if it does not odds are high the trim motor failed
                What he said.

Comment

DO NOT tap the motor housing.
                  it very well can lead to breaking the magnets that are glued inside the housing and destroying the motor.
                  typically we replace the motors but most all internal parts are avalible from yamaha.

Comment

Working...
                  X