water intrusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water intrusion

Draining my lower units for winter, one had milky oil. I know this is from water getting in. What do I need to do to stop further issues. Where can it be coming from? I change the seals on the plugs each year. When I had the prop off I didn't see any oil leak there.

diriveshaft and prop shaft are the most common seal leaks,i would do driveshaft first

Comment

OK. Something I should do myself or do I need to remove the unit and take it to a dealer? I am winterized and shrink wrapped in my driveway. And my warranty just ran out. No gifts this holiday season...

Comment

Pick up a manual and read up on what all is needed to change the seals. If you do not have the tools then it maybe better to take it in.
        Pressure testing the unit will show which seals have a problem, fishing line around the prop shaft is what normally takes those seals out

Comment

Looked in manual

I looked in the manual. I don't have any "special" tools so I probably wouldn't try it. Another question. In the book when doing water pumps, it says to drain the oil (first step). I did have both of my pumps done in August at a dealer. What are the chances they did the oil?

Comment

I do not understand why you would need to drain the lower unit to do a water pump replacement, but it does not really matter, if you have water in it now. You need to find out where it is coming from and fix it

Comment

Working...
            X