Power tilt Problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power tilt Problem?

Went down to the boat and 1 of my F200's was lowered halfway into the water. I used the boat the day before and everything was normal. There is no sign of leakage anywhere. I raised and lowered it numerous times without any problem and even stood on the lower unit. It didn;t budge. My buddy told me that some jackass went by at full throttle about an hour before I got there and really rocked the boats. Could this have caused the motor to drop? I guess I'll also check the manual valve.

Frank,
    If you can stand on the lower unit and it not slowly go down, I don't think you have any leakage in the hydraulics - but check the manual bypsss valve anyway - it just needs to be snug - don't overtighten.
    I would check all t/t switches - you probably have two - one at the shift handle and one on the motor. Move them up and down several times to see if you can get one of them to stick. Corrosion can set up in the switches and cause them to short out, usually when no one is around. Best to have a battery kill switch on both motors. When you leave the boat, all power is killed to the motor and accessories, all except the bilge pump if your boat is in the water.
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

Ken, I have perkos for each motor which I shut down after every use. I went down to the boat again yesterday and the motors were fine. I started using the tilt locks now just in case.
      Thanks

Comment

Frank,
        If your outboard dropped down a little without any power to the t/t motor, then there may be a little hydraulic leakage in the system or the fluid may be a bit low - check the reservoir level per the owners manual. Also, there may be a little air in the sysem - purge the air out per the Yamaha shop manual.
        Good luck,
        Ken K

Comment

Working...
        X