lower end oil leak 86' 115

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lower end oil leak 86' 115

I have an oil leak in my lower end. It looks like it's coming from the seal closest to the prop. In reviewing the manual procedure, it looks like there are two seals I'll ned to replace. I'm a little confused about needing a special tool to pull the bearing keeper. Can someone clearify this for me?

Toag,
    I am currently going thru this on my buddie's 95 C115 - told him I would fix the leak before he came back in from working offshore.
    After studying the shop manual and realizing that the water pump, drive shaft, and shift rod all have to come out to get the prop shaft out, AND there are THREE required special tools (like a ring nut wrench - which I don't have), I decided to let my trusted and experienced marine mechanic do the work (he's been there, done that).
    Considering the age of your outboard, all seals and o-rings (prop shaft, drive shaft, shift rod) need to be replaced while the lower unit is torn down - water pump also if it has been at least three years since last repair.
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

Working...
    X