Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Green Wire...

The Long version...

Someone tried to steal the 25 hp Yamaha OB motor off the boat.
    Boat flipped over, fell off cradle, landed on motor upside down in the river.

- Rinsed it down, lubed it up with wd40- rebuilt the carbs - spent the next saturday fishing offshore.

- During fresh water rinse - the motor started by itself (nice!)

- Replaced the Starter Solenoid.
    - Went to replace the ingintion switch and during the process - guy helping cut all the wires and spliced in a non-oem ignition switch.

Now I have an extra Green wire coming FROM the motor in the harness to the 703 Control Box - and absolutely no idea what it does or where it should be terminated.

No Gauges; No Panel Lights; No Tach.

I tried to chase the wire down in the harness under the engine cowling but I'm unable to figure out where it went without removal of hardware I'm not comfortable with removing.

Can someone tell me what the Green Wire is for?
    And... what it should be terminated to in the control box?

Regards,

Gaver
    Last edited by GPowers; 11-14-2010, 05:19 AM.

My guess is Tach.
    It would be good to give a model #
    Here is some info on wire colors

Wiring where used color codes for Yamaha outboard boat motors.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      My guess is Tach.
      It would be good to give a model #
      Here is some info on wire colors

Wiring where used color codes for Yamaha outboard boat motors.
      Thanks for the reference chart.

There's no Tach on the boat.

What is a lighting coil?
      If there's a lighting coil on the motor - would it need to be energized through the green wire with 12 volts to function?

Thanks again,

Gaver

ps. the green wire in question is inside the 703/4 panel on the console - not back at the motor.
      Last edited by GPowers; 11-15-2010, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Thanks JIT,

If it's the charging coil lead... does it need to be connected to a 12v source at the ignition key to enable it?

Gaver

Comment

JIT - this wire is inside the 703/4 control box to the right of the steering wheel.

It was one of many wires that were cut during removal of the:
          1) Dead Man Switch and
          2) Ignition Switch.

Because the wires were either pulled out of the switches or cut so close to the backshell - there's no colored plastic coating left (green) in any of the switches or elsewhere to help me figure out where it was originally connected.

There's no tach on the boat so I'm skeptical that it was used to power the tachometer.

I'm leaning towards your other suggestion - that it may be associated with the charging circuit.

Would the charging circuit require energizing with 12 volts from the ignition switch to enable it to generate the 13 volts from the magneto (thru a rectifier) to charge the battery?

I'll pop the control box open later this week and put a meter on the wire and see if it's hot while the motors running - maybe that will shed some light on what it's for?

Thanks again,

Gaver

Comment

There is normally a set of wires that come out of the control that you can hook a tach to if you wanted to.
            Last edited by 99yam40; 04-17-2017, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Thanks again 99...

Unfortuanately - there's no tach.
              But there is a stripped green wire in the console - meaning it was previously hooked up to something in the console prior to removing the deadman switch and the ignition key.

I guess this one is going to remain a mystery!

G

Comment

Here is a pic of the red,yellow,black, and green wire that comes out of my 703 control that I hooked a tach into. They all came with it as far as I know.There are other wires coming out of it also. They were just hanging out with rubber plugs in the connectors to protect them.
                Last edited by 99yam40; 04-17-2017, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X