2004 90TLRC Lower Unit Prob.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 90TLRC Lower Unit Prob.

Hi all, I have been trying to drop the lower unit in order that I may change the water pump which is bad. I have no manual to go by which is a problem. I have done this before on other outboards so I am familiar with the proceedure. However I have removed all of the bolts holding the lower unit but it simply will not drop out. Is disconnecting the shift linkage necessary? If so, please advise and explain how to do it. I would appreciate any help with this and hope to hear something soon. Thanks and have a good one.

my recommendation is to get a manual if you plan on owning the motor and working on it yourself.

As far as I know there is no linkage to disconnect, it is splined and should just slip apart like my 40.

As long as you have all the bolts removed it should drop unless the drive shaft is stuck in the power head.
    How many bolts did you pull?

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply 99yam40. I have pulled 5 bolts. It could just be stuck from corrosion. It was operated in salt water all time and the water pump has never been changed. The bolts were extremely corroded and tight.

Comment

Sounds like you need a hammer, a block of wood, and lots of luck.

I have read some where before that bleach water will help break down aluminum corrosion instead of the other penatrating fluids.
        Good luck and Hope you do not break it.

Comment

Thanks Again 99yam40. I will surely give the bleach water a try. I will also try a little heat around it. Have a good one

Comment

Working...
          X