1988 4hp 2 stroke gear lever very stiff - help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 4hp 2 stroke gear lever very stiff - help

Hi all, new member. My 1988 2 stroke 4hp gear shift lever is very stiff and I need to remove the top end from the lower leg unit to sort the problem. I have removed the 7 bolts from beneath the power unit but can not part the two units.

I have tried several good whacks against a wooden block but it refuses to move and I hesitate to try levering in case I shatter part of the casings.

Is there anything else I have to remove (that I am unaware of), that may be holding the two parts together?

Cheers.

Originally posted by herbsut View Post
    Hi all, new member. My 1988 2 stroke 4hp gear shift lever is very stiff and I need to remove the top end from the lower leg unit to sort the problem. I have removed the 7 bolts from beneath the power unit but can not part the two units.

I have tried several good whacks against a wooden block but it refuses to move and I hesitate to try levering in case I shatter part of the casings.

Is there anything else I have to remove (that I am unaware of), that may be holding the two parts together?

Cheers.
    Hi Herbsut

I had a similar problem, but solved it by screwing the bolts that hold the lower unit in about 3 or 4 threads, then using a light hammer and a dowel, gave each bolt head in turn a rap. After going around a few times, I found that the power head was loosening and eventually got it off. Be careful of the gasket, though. That will expose the end of the shift lever that has a cam on it that connects to the shift rod and is held in place by a washer and cotter pin. I started prying on the shift rod in both directions, and found that it moved with difficulty. I lubed around the end of the shaft with "break free" and the movement got easier. I also dripped light oil down the shift rod in case it is corroded. The stiffness apparently was due to corrosion and lack of lubrication on the cam plate and the cast shift-lever housing.

The stiff shifting is probably why the shift lever broke to begin with. Anyway, I separated the part with the shift lever from the control unit, but I can't seem to get the shift lever shaft out. I pried out one o-ring, but there is another one that may be holding it in place.

Good luck, and if you learn any tricks about getting the shift lever and shaft out, please let me know. Hopefully you can free up the shift lever without having to replace it.

Regards, Jim

Comment

Working...
    X