Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 HP help!

Hi All

New member, and have an issue with my outboard. I have searched the web and this place seems suited to me. I am not to technical but pretty handy.

I have a 2005 5hp CMH engine.

It has become very difficult to start, physiacally difficult. The pull got very stiff. The outboard has stiffended up before now but I have allways managed to get it going which has left it good for a few days (until my next fishing trip!).

I had assumed it was a sticky piston, however I have the flywheel off and could turn using a spanner on the nut (with a few old washers to save damaging things).

As it turns which is pretty hard to do, I can hear a squeek. This doesnt strike me as a piston in my experience they either go or dont (or break with a crunching noise).

Have turned it over a few times and can still hear the squeek and am wondering what can cause this (the stiffness and the squeek that is). A squeel on its on would not bother me in the slightest.

My attempts to remove the motor from the leg have failed. I wanted to get it off the driveshaft so I could see how the piston runs and also hyow the shaft turns to help isolate the problem.

To cut a long story short, could anyone advise how to get the motor off the leg (aplogies for the blatant use of laymans terms).

I have taken out all of the nuts that I can with the exception of one. I have all of the inner loop of nuts (under the cowling|) out and have one left of the four that seem to hold the cowling on. This nut seems to be out of bounds hiding under what I would have thought was the exhaust plate but being new to my yamaha I do not know - may be the head gasket!

I really hope someone out there can help me as this is my favourite outboard yet and it is far too clean to replace just because of this.

Thank you for reading my epic first post.

Mark

ps: I have also checked and there are no mice or other rodents in there making the noise!
    Last edited by markle11; 11-07-2010, 07:58 AM.

Should be able to remove gearcase assy(lower unit) to see if problem is in gearcase or engine.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

My thoughts exactly, I am sure it is a little bushing down there but the thing wont budge!

I tried and tried to get the top off (powerhead) for the same reasons but cant do that either, total failure!

But thanks for the response

Comment

Working...
      X