F115 Sometimes won't turn over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F115 Sometimes won't turn over

My F115 sometimes won't crank. It happened a couple of times at the boat ramp. I had it tilted up a little backing it into the water. Turned the key and nothing. Trimmed it down and it cranked up. Recently before leaving the house, I would test the cranking and no problem.
    Yesterday while out, I turned the key and nothing. Turned it a few more times, placing the shift lever in and out of neutral and it cranked after about the 6th time.
    I have checked all of my electrical connections. No corrosion anywhere. No loose cables. Retightened all of my connections.
    Is there an adjustment for the neutral safety switch?
    Or do they go bad? If so, where are they located?
    What else should I be checking/replacing?

May have a broken wire inside main harness between key switch and engine, try wiggling main harness at engine.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Your problem does sound like a wire issue. Try and recreate the problem by tilting your engine at different angles and attempting to start your engine. You may be able to pinpoint the broken wire by doing this. If you are proficient with an Ohm meter you can procure a diagram and check your wires by tilting your engine or wiggling wires until you find an open in your circuit.

I have also seen batteries with a broken plate cause this symptom. You can have your cranking battery load tested to find out. Also look for swelling in the case or any leakage of acid. If at all else you will be able to rule out the battery as a cause. Sometimes ruling out potential components is easier than a continual search for that needle in a hay stack.

I would also recommend performing a 10 pound pull test on each connector. Most people just perform a visual inspection and rule the connector out. It may look like it is secure, but in fact it is not. Just apply 10 foot pounds of pressure to the wire and connector. If the connector falls off then you know that you found your problem.

I know most people get extremely anxious with electrical problems. The best thing you can do is relax and walk away when you get frustrated. It usually takes 10 times longer to find the problem than it does to fix it.

Good Luck,

Reel Insane

Comment

OK Thanks

Looks like a good weekend project while the wind rages outside.
        Thanks. If I am successful I will respond.

Comment

Working...
        X