Removing Lower Unit Yamaha 250F - TURD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Lower Unit Yamaha 250F - TURD

Hi, I purchased a used Contender with a 2005 250FTURD on it. I'm on maintenance mode and want to change the Impeller and check the lower unit's gears (first time on this particular engine). However, it's been giving me a headache to remove the lower unit. Most probably because the last owner never removed it for service, so it looks as it's stuck due to corrosion down the screws.

Using the Service Manual, I've removed the 6 bolts around the lower unit, plus the two screws that go under the cavitation plate. The Unit moves around a 1/4" on the prop side, but zero to non on the bullet side. It just doesn't seem to come off.

I've hit it quite hard with a hammer over a wooden block, but it's still not coming free.

Any suggestions? or tricks?

Thanks

Rod.

Might try getting a heat gun and applying heat around stud bolts.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Drive shaft seized in the powerhead?

Yamaha Lower Unit shaft seized to the engine block. Now What?? - iboats Boating Forums
      Stanley Islander 19, 2006 Yamaha F150TLRC. Ottawa, Canada
      16' York River, 1986 Yamaha PRO 50.

Comment

I'm not sure if the shaft is seized... but hmmm it might now that you mention... the lower unit has been hanging 1/4" from the mid section (same as you posted on your thread)....

I really hope I don't have the same scenario as you...

I'll let it hang for a few more days and try ramming it again. That's how I got the first 1/4".

Let you know what happens.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X