Best 2 cycle oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best 2 cycle oil

Are there any oils that exceed the quality of Yamaha oil for my 2005 70HP 2 stroke?

Protection of my investment is # 1, availability is # 2, then cost of the oil. Thanks for any help in advance.

Yamaha specs the oil for their engines only I would recondmend Yamaha oil.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Hank,
      As long as the oil you are using is NMMA certified TCW-3, then your outboard will perform fine. Having said that, everyone eventually gravitates to their "special" oil.
      I would stick with Yamaha oil at least until your warranty runs out. Then you might want to consider other oils, including synthetic/blends, that may smoke a little less and cost less. Just be careful when mixing different oils in same reservoir - I have personally experienced gelling of different oils that resulted in shut down of outboard forty miles offshore, but that was TCW-2, and I don't believe that "3" is as bad about forming sludge/gel. If you do switch oil, then drain oil tanks of old oil - and when add new oil, run motor enough to ger all old oil out of system.
      I have tried many different oils in my pre-mix C115 Yamaha, and have found that some smoke a lot more than others, and result in fouled plugs sooner. My favorite oils now are Yamaha, Quicksilver, and Pennzoil synthetic blend.
      Good luck,
      Ken K

Comment

Working...
      X