Help me ID this motor - OX66 or HDPI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me ID this motor - OX66 or HDPI?

I have an offer in on this boat. Broker says it "received a new powerhead in 2005" Broker also has motor listed as an "OX66". I'm trying to figure out what's really in there...

Cover says "V 250" looks like an OX66 cover and lower unit, and does NOT say "Saltwater Series II", but the serial number on the motor indicates that it is a 1999. Model # S250TXRX

What is strange, is that according to NADA database, there is no OX66 in 2005 (but there was in 1999).

So my question is this - looking at the pictures, can anyone tell me if this is indeed an OX66 motor? If so, was it possible to get a NEW OX66 powerhead in 2005? Is there any way to verify that it was a new powerhead in 2005 based on a serial number somewhere?

Thanks in advance!

call yamaha with the ser # see what they have on file

Comment

Don't know why those pics didn't work. Let's try these...
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mrpontoon View Post
        call yamaha with the ser # see what they have on file
        The serial number of the case is unreadable (the model number is, however - I posted it above).

Someone told me that on some the serial number is on a freeze plug on the port side, but inspections are difficult, as the boat is on the water and the engine is 3 feet back. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by SBSYNCRO View Post
          Cover says "V 250" looks like an OX66 cover and lower unit, and does NOT say "Saltwater Series II", but the serial number on the motor indicates that it is a 1999. Model # S250TXRX
          Here is the decoding of the Model for S250TXRX

S = Salt Water Series
          250 = 250hp
          T = Power tilt & trim
          X = 25" shft
          R = Remote
          X = 1999 year model

You are missing part of the code after the "S" and before the 250. Should have a "F" for a 4 stroke, a "X" for an OX66, or a "Z" for HPDI. Model number should be S?250TXRX (the ? is the missing part of the code).

Looks like an OX66 to me though. Could have been new old stock or "new" as in new to that unit (remanufactured)?

Do they have any documentation of the "new" powerhead? If they are representing this as a 2005 motor something is not right. But if it's a 1999 with a 2005 powerhead replacement, that's different.
          Last edited by dward51; 10-28-2010, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dward51 View Post
            Here is the decoding of the Model for S250TXRX

S = Salt Water Series
            250 = 250hp
            T = Power tilt & trim
            X = 25" shft
            R = Remote
            X = 1999 year model

You are missing part of the code after the "S" and before the 250. Should have a "F" for a 4 stroke, a "X" for an OX66, or a "Z" for HPDI. Model number should be S?250TXRX (the ? is the missing part of the code).

Looks like an OX66 to me though. Could have been new old stock or "new" as in new to that unit (remanufactured)?
            Looks like an X below the serial number - I assume this is what you mean. Therefore the CASE is a '99 but I'm still wondering how to verify the powerhead age....
            Attached Files

Comment

do you have an o2 sensor or not ? this would indicate early '99 or prior if you dont
              Last edited by jb123; 10-28-2010, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X