Yamaha 9.9 carb problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 9.9 carb problems

One benefit of having a cat with two outboards - when one goes wrong, you can swap parts back and forth till the problem is identified.

One engine won't start. Swap carbs, the problem goes to the other engine.
    I've swapped bits like this until the problem is definitely something to do with a part in the carburettor bowl. I've swapped all removable parts from one bowl to the other, and none of those parts cause the problem.

There's one part I can't get out of the bowl, so I guess the problem is right there.

It's a brass jet, near the bottom of the bowl. I can't find a diagram with the part shown, but there's a diagram here: Yamaha Outboard Parts 1997 T9.9ELRV CARBURETOR Diagram
    It's at the bottom of the tube that the choke valve (35 on the diagram) goes into.

The jet isn't a screw in job, and banging the bowl doesn't loosen it. Can anyone suggest a way of getting it out? Heat maybe? (I've already tried soaking it in carburettor cleaner, hoping this might fix it.) I'd hate to have to get a new carb...

Thanks for any suggestions.

Might take it to a dealer that has an ultrasonic carb cleaner and air compressor to properly clean carb.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X