Boat not reaching top rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat not reaching top rpm

Hi, My boat has an 85 hp yamaha and has sat for a year and now it won't reach top rpm's. I checked the fuel pump and it seemed to be fine. It has fresh fuel as well. It runs up to 3500 rpm and just levels out, also it seems to be taking a while to get there. Should I take the carbs off and clean them? It doesn't seem to be missing either. Any help would help! Thanx

check your plugs...

see if you're running on all cylinders...

Comment

Carbs probably would need a good cleaning since they probably are gummed up from dried up fuel and oil in the lines, pump, and carb bowls

After sitting that long, I would check compression first to make sure the cylinders are sealing. If the motor was not stored properly there can be rust on the cylinders, bearings, and crank.
      then check spark an all cylinders at problem RPM. timing light will help see that.

Comment

The plugs are new!

I checked them they are ****en brown in color. I did notice the linkage going to the stator had popped off because the plastic had cracked. would this stop me from reaching top rpm's

Comment

yes if the timing is not advancing to where it should be it will affect the top end and the power

Comment

Thank's

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            yes if the timing is not advancing to where it should be it will affect the top end and the power
            I ordered the new parts this weekend, but glued the plastic back with epoxy in the mean time. I hope this fixes the problem.

Comment

Working...
            X