voltage too high?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• voltage too high?

When my yamaha 90 hp outboard is running the voltage is at 16.2 volts. I think that is too high and should be 14.2 max .where is the voltage regulator located and how much ? this is a 2001 engine

pancette,
    The voltage regulator should put out max 14.6 volts - I would confirm what your console gauge is reading with a known accurate voltmeter before replacing any parts.
    The voltage regulator and rectifier is all one unit, I believe - it is on my C115, mounted on the starboard side.
    Get yourself a Yamaha shop manual if you intend to do your own maintenance - it will pay for itself many times over.
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

I had a similar problem with my F100 (see posting http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/c...c;f=1;t=000449). After discussions with two mechanics and on this board, I decided not to replace the rectifier/regulator. About 3 months later, my rectifier/regulator burned a hole through its backside and shorted out. That left me dead-in-the-water, ten miles from the landing.

I replaced the unit and everything seems to be OK. The voltage reading from the depth finder reads 14.5, however, my dash-mounted meter that came with the motor reads 16+ volts. A handheld voltmeters confirms that the depth finder is correct.

The unit is held on with two bolts and just plugs in, however, to get to the portside bolt, you have to remove the intake manifold.

Comment

Working...
      X