water pump problem on 2000 Yamaha 200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water pump problem on 2000 Yamaha 200

I recently acquired a Flatlander 24 with a 200 hp Yamaha 3.1L. With the jack plate fully down, the tell-tale takes a long time and sometimes will not pee at all. If left not peeing for several minutes the engine alarms. I can rev the engine slightly and make it pee and then it seems to work fine. I changed all the parts that came in the Yamaha water pump kit with no change. A mechanic at one of the local dealers told me to replace the seal cover under the water pump plate and to close one of the 2 openings in the top of the water pump liner by hammereing it down. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this problem? Thanks

I would recommend ordering a factory service manual if you don't already have one for your motor. You can order direct from Yamaha online at www.YamahaPubs.com . I would not alter anything on the waterpump housing. What redneck fix is that? Sounds like he told you to hammer closed one of the alignment points, nice job. I think your problem is possibly just a thermostat stuck open or the pressure relief valve stuck open. When you changed out the impeller did you make sure that the blades bent back in the proper direction when you slid the housing over it? If you got them bent in the wrong direction it won't pump worth a damn. The driveshaft turns clockwise and thats what you have to do as you slide the housing over the impeller blades, making sure they sweep back. I assume you installed the new base plate under the impeller. Use a little silicone to hold the housing O-ring seal in place while you're reassembling it. If that O-ring pops out of the groove around the housing cover edge you won't get good water pressure either. But first off inspect the thermostats for corrosion or blockage from shells or grass that would keep them stuck open. Then inspect the pressure relief valve and seal for debris and mineral buildup under the seal. If you get a mineral buildup under the seal it will distort the hole and seize the pressure relief valve either open or closed. But get a factory service manual to help point all this stuff out to you. Good luck.

Mike ........ Miami, FL

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I do own the factory manual and did check the pressure relief valve and replaced the thermostats and gaskets. I also turned the driveshaft clockwise as I pushed the water pump housing over the impeller. I didn't change the housing but maybe it deserves a closer look.

Comment

Working...
      X