Need Help... Swapping Old Yamaha Digital Tach for New

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help... Swapping Old Yamaha Digital Tach for New

Going to start by saying I am a total electronics newbie. I am trying to swap my old Yamaha Digital Multifunction Tach Gauge for a newer one I recently bought. The boat is new to me but I believe the old gauge was a 94 or 95' . The engine is a 95'.

I have read http://www.mbcboats.com/perfbull/Yam...KitInstall.pdf but it is confusing me a good bit.

This is what I have as far as wires.

My old gauge had: gauge side INTO engine side
    Yellow INTO Yellow
    Blue INTO Blue
    Black INTO Black
    Solid Green INTO Solid Green
    Green/red, Green/white plug INTO Green/red, Green/white plug
    Pink, Grey, Orange, Black/white plug INTO Pink, Grey, Orange, Black/white plug

My old gauge had: gauge side INTO engine side
    Yellow INTO Existing Yellow
    Blue INTO Existing Blue
    Black INTO Existing Black
    Solid Green INTO Existing Solid Green
    Pink, Grey, Green/red, Green/white plug INTO ???????

Those last question marks is where I am lost. On the engine side of the connections I have the two plugs left. Green/red, Green/white plug and the Pink, Grey, Orange, Black/white plug.. If I were to remove the plug pieces and do individual connections.... (Pink to Pink, Grey to Grey, Green/red to Green/red, Green/white to Green,white)
    I would have the Orange, and Black/white wires left going to nothing on the gauge... Is this how this is to be done?

Thank you guys for trying to understand.

This is my wiring coming off my old TACH
    Attached Files

Comment

Get an adapter cable 6Y5-85335-10-00, I think this will work.

Hi - I am in a similar situation but am adapting an older gauge to a newer motor. There is also one for going the other way, older motor to newer gauge.
      The part number is 6Y5-85335-10-00 and it is supposed to make newer gauges work with older 1994-2004 motors. It connects between Trim/Oil harness and gauges at the gauge.

Comment

The tach in picture will work on a 1995 motor.
        Would need 6Y5-83553-N0-00 gauge power harness that connects single wires on tach with bullet connectors to same colored wires on key switch.
        Would need 68F-82553-90-00 trim/oil harness that connects to off white colored square connectors on tach and connects to same colored connectors on engine.
        Will have set dip switches in tach for your motor.
        Tach Settings.JPG
        Attached Files
        Last edited by boats.net; 10-07-2010, 05:07 PM.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Hey boats.net , do you have a number I could call you on? You're my last hope before I sell these and buy different gauges. I meen I know you all have a number, but who are you. Who do I ask for!
          The picture of the gauge is the gauge I am getting rid of, and swapping with a newer gauge, as described in the pic.. Very confused by all of this, a phone number and a name would work numbers.

Comment

Working...
          X