Removing stale gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing stale gas

Can someone advise the best way to remove stale gas from a built-in tank? The boat is on a trailer, but the belly tank is so low that a siphon won't work effectively. Is there a pump that can be attached to the fuel line that would be safe to use with gasoline? Open to suggestions.

This is a problem with built-in tanks. I saw at Harbour Freight Tools a plastic pump that you chuck onto a hand drill, hook up some clear plastic tubing and looks like it could work! After you get this pumped out and clean maybe install a fuel/water separator to catch any water or debris left in the tank. It would be a great idea to have a couple of fire extinguishers and a garden hose handy during this pumping process. Hose down the boat, motor and all the ground around to help reduce any electrical sparks! Good luck and don't get killed!

Comment

Disconnect the primer bulb from the engine side of the fuel line. Connect a piece of plastic tubing long enough to reach the floor (gas can), to the open side of the primer bulb. The can will be lower than the fuel tank, boat is on a trailer, so a siphon will work. I do it every fall when I winterize.

Scott

Comment

Just pump the bulb till the siphon starts.

Scott

Comment

Working...
        X