150 HPDI problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150 HPDI problem

I have a 2001 150 HPDI that I purchased used in 2002. On occasion when starting and accellerating the engine will missfire on at least one cylinder. I discovered that by switching the ignition off then restarting if runs flawlessly. This worked 100% until this weekend. No amount of restarts will get it running on all cylinders. The idle speed also dropped to about 500 rpm. Once home I pulled the plugs and it appears that #5 cylinder is not firing. At high speed with the boat on plane I cannot detect a miss but it's on a relatively light boat. I would like to hear from anyone who might have a clue, also why it has apparently "fixed" itself in the past.

Might try swappnig coils with another cylinder to see if problem with coil.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for the info. Weather has been lousy recently and haven't had a chance to try this.

Comment

I have two 200 hpdi with blown pistons, seems they are prone to it, sounds similar to the start of the problems i had, worth pressure testing cylindars before using engine again as if it is it is a fairlly easy to replace one piston with an un damged bore, but if left run is a full rebuild and rebore !!!

Comment

Working...
        X