Hello all New member with f80 trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all New member with f80 trouble

Hello all from NW washington. I have a 2002 f80 four stroke yamaha outboard. it has been flawless and well maintained for its lifespan, however I went out fishing thursday and about 20 min. into the run it started making a slight rattle/knock that progressively got louder. shut it down came back on my kicker and got home and wont turn over unless by hand. Took the powerhead off today and found slight metal particles in the oil pump and surrounding area/ I am going to split the case tomorrow and am assuming to see a crank or rod bearing failure. If this is the case I will obviously need a crank and bearings. I am also curious about the best way to set the timing. I realize it is a non clearance motor so it cannot be off. Currently it appears that the cam sprocket arrows face each other with the TDC mark on the flywheel facing the rear arrow in the flywheel cover bracket/ the front TDC mark appears to be -10 deg off TDC according to the opposing arrow on the front of the motor at the little stainless indicator bracket. any help on the timing much appreciated as well as any other info. this has been a great motor and everything else is flawless, I am hoping a lower end rebuild will get me back on the water...thx again guys!!

Andy in WA

You do need to get yourself a service manual to take on a major engine work. You can get one at www.yamaha-motor.com
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by woodrow246 View Post
      Hello all from NW washington. I have a 2002 f80 four stroke yamaha outboard. it has been flawless and well maintained for its lifespan, however I went out fishing thursday and about 20 min. into the run it started making a slight rattle/knock that progressively got louder. shut it down came back on my kicker and got home and wont turn over unless by hand. Took the powerhead off today and found slight metal particles in the oil pump and surrounding area/ I am going to split the case tomorrow and am assuming to see a crank or rod bearing failure. If this is the case I will obviously need a crank and bearings. I am also curious about the best way to set the timing. I realize it is a non clearance motor so it cannot be off. Currently it appears that the cam sprocket arrows face each other with the TDC mark on the flywheel facing the rear arrow in the flywheel cover bracket/ the front TDC mark appears to be -10 deg off TDC according to the opposing arrow on the front of the motor at the little stainless indicator bracket. any help on the timing much appreciated as well as any other info. this has been a great motor and everything else is flawless, I am hoping a lower end rebuild will get me back on the water...thx again guys!!

Andy in WA

Welcome and Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
      X