86 25SJ Carb & Acceleration Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 86 25SJ Carb & Acceleration Issues

I recently bought a used 1986 25SJ two cylinder, two stroke outboard after which I installed a Yamaha carb rebuild kit and new fuel pump(not Yamaha). The engine started and ran great, but after the engine sits for awhile the needle valve sticks. The engine will start and run until the bowl empties of fuel. Pumping the bulb causes pressure to build in the fuel system but will not unseat the needle valve. The carb can be removed and the needle valve slightly manipulated and it runs fine until it sits for a few days. When opened the carb, needle valve and seat show no signs of deposits or anything else that would make the valve stick. I also cant seem to get the engine to make max RPM while running. It runs smooth but doesn't seem to turn up. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ethanol may be causing the tip of float valve to swell enough to make it stick, might try replacing float valve with Yamaha float valve to see if solves problem.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Ihave that same motor and the same problem,have replaced needle valve andtube it sits in same thing,I wonder about fuel mix on the motor its shows 100 to 1 but mechanics tell me 50 to 1 .

Comment

Working...
      X