Oil Tank Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Tank Leak

I, and both of my brothers own 30 HP Yamaha outboards. ALL of these motors have oil leaking out of the oil injection storage tank level moniter rubber cap. How can we fix this and stop wasting Yamalube?

These motors stay on the boats all year long! Zip ties or Tie Raps won't squeeze the plastic neck down enough to make a good seal.
    Last edited by cts33; 09-14-2010, 01:10 PM. Reason: better response

Comment

We run these motors on level trim. If you fill the oil reservoir to the filled line, the oil will not stop leaking until the level drops below the sensor cap. This was a badly designed setup. Seals incorporated in the sensor unit itself do not provide a tight seal to prevent oil loss. I have used ty-raps to no avail. Filling the tank to just below the sensor cap is the only way I have found to not lose oil, but the low oil sensor kicks in much sooner than running with a full oil tank. I will try an O-ring on the sensor itself to see how it works. Thanks for your responses.

Comment

I just want to know if anyone else has attempted to FIX the problem, not to just avoid the problem.

Comment

No more lost Yamalube!

Fixed the problem!

Comment

Fix?

How'd you fix the leaking oil cap?

Comment

yea how did you fix it??

Comment

Originally posted by cts33 View Post
                Fixed the problem!
                Did you have to replace the sender unit?

Comment

oil sensor replacment

If I replace the oil sensor, what gurantees the replacement won't leak also? I hate to spend over $100 to have another leaky sensor!

Comment

Working...
                  X