Alarm Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alarm Test

I've never really thought about it much before, but the alarm buzzer on my 2000 C115 never has momentarily sounded when the ignition is turned on. Is it suppose to, to indicate that the buzzer is in working condition? This is the first Yamaha I have owned and my old Merc 90 would momentarily sound when you turned the ignition on to tell you that the buzzer was working.
    Do some of the Yamaha outboards have this feature and others not? Can I add this feature to my C115?
    Thanks,
    Ken K

Hey Ken,

Good question ..... I have been thinking the same thing. My new 90 does not sound when I turn the key on either. My old Evinrude 70 did.

The owners manual does not indicate that the warning horn should "beep" when the key is turned on.

Comment

I always wondered if the buzzer worked, so this weekend I tested it. You have to have the engine running. The wires from the temp sender unplug, then you plug the two wires from the harness together. The buzzer worked as well ass the lamp on the tach. Gives a more secure feeling knowing that they work.

Comment

No, on single enging ignition circuits the alarm does not sound when you first turn on the key. The digital gauges flash indicating testing and if there is a fault the individual system problem light will remain flashing. On dual engine setups the audible alarm does sound during the test, as well as the flashing gauges (digital gauges).

Mike.....

Comment

Mike,
          Thanks for the info.

Pitahui,
          You only need to have the ignition on when doing the manual test of the thermo switches - not necessary to have the engine running.

Tripleb,
          If I get energetic enough, I will design a simple circuit add-on that will automatically test the alarm buzzer on single engine set-ups. It would be nice to know that the buzzer is functonal. I will post here if I come up with anything.

Ken K

Comment

Hey Ken,

Sounds great!

Comment

Thanks for the info Ken. On my T50's, the alarm won’t work when the engine isn't running. I tried that first. After consulting the shop manual I noticed that the thermo circuit goes through the CDI unit. I suspect that's because it reduces the throttle when an alarm condition is on. The alarm buzzers worked with the engine running, but stopped when I turned off the key.
              Maybe it's the model of the motors. I have 1997 T50 four stokes.

Comment

Correction, I had the key on, but the egine not running, and the alarm wouldn't sound. The engine had to be running.

Comment

pitahui,
                  I understand now on your four stroke that the motor has to be running to test the alarm - don't know why Yamaha made it different from the two stroke - just be careful of the flywheel and belts/pulleys with your hands in there that close.
                  Good luck,
                  Ken K

Comment

I have twin setup 115 four strokes 2002 models. Both buzzers used to come on with key till oil pressure built. Now only one buzzes when key turned on. Should I be concerned?

Comment

skoag,
                      Yep, I would be concerned - I am not very familiar with the four strokes, but I would assume the warning buzzer tells you if there is a problem with either overheating or poor oil pressure - either one can destroy your outboard. Better get it checked out. Hopefully it is just a bad buzzer.
                      Good luck,
                      Ken K

Comment

Working...
                      X