trim indicator not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trim indicator not working

I own a 2003 150hp 2 strokes and the trim indicator is not working on my tach model 6yr-w0035-eo-00.
    there must be a sensor on the motor it self which is probably stuck. Anybody knows where that sensor is?
    Thank you

Dennis its that black ring with phillips head screw on it on the hinge bar at the front of the motor. Loosen the screw and rotate the ring one way or the other till you get the trim indication you want. Tilt the motor up and make sure the little arm under there is moving freely too. Here's a link to pic of the trim ring:

http://www.forumpictureprocessor.com...m%20Sender.jpg

Mike........ Miami,FL

Comment

dennis,
      The trim sensor has a lever that hits the trim sensor ring cam that Mike spoke about. Sometimes the lever arm gets a little corrosion on it and sticks. Try squirting a little solvent like
      WD-40 on the arm and at the base of the arm where it goes into the sensor housing. You can get to it pretty easy by raising the outboard all the way up and dropping the locking lever down for safety. Squirt the arm and move it by hand thru the full range - it is spring loaded.
      If this does not fix the readout, then you have a bad sensor or related wiring.
      Good luck,
      Ken K

Comment

Thank you so much for your responses. I was able to make my trim indicator work again. With your explanation and picture it was so easy.

The last time I had a tune up, I had the same problem and asked my mechanic to fix the indicator. He did, but told me it was a big deal on these Yamaha...
        He was so full of fbshk...

Comment

Do you have a picture of the arm that sticks? I have to hang over the transom because the boat's in the water and I can't see it but then I don't know what I'm looking for.
          Thanks

Comment

Irish Jig,
            Go take a look at the trim ring first - check out the link above that "Hamfisted" posted. The trim ring is aroung the steering tube and over to the right half (starboard) side of the tube. The sensor with arm is located just to the aft of the ring - mounted on the motor itself. You can see it barely by looking directly behind the ring from the front of the outboard. To get to it, you need to raise the outboard all the way up (be sure and drop down the trim lock lever for safety)
            and approach it from either side if boat is in the water.
            Good luck,
            Ken K

Comment

Working...
            X