Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mixed messages re winterizing - any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed messages re winterizing - any suggestions?

Guys,

I'm a new owner of a 2000 year OX66 150HP. This motor has been meticulously cared for. I'm getting ready to winterize, and getting mixed messages (from Yamaha dealers) as it pertains to fogging, specifically fogging the intake ports.

Some dealers are telling me to only fog the cylinders. Others are suggesting I fog the cylinders and the intake ports. Those that say fog only the cylinders feel the fogging oil can mess w/ the fuel injection system, specifically the ox sensors.

I read the sticky, and it makes no differentiation between carbureted & injection motors, as it pertains to fogging. So, what's the consensus - do I fog only the cylinders, or is fogging of the intake ports something to be done? If so, is it obvious, after you remove the front port cover, where to spray the fogging oil?

TIA,

Jeff

If you want to protect the crank and bearings you need to fog the intake along with the cylinders

Comment

Yep, the fogging for a 2 stroke motor is mostly for the crankshaft area where all the shiny roller bearings(connecting rods, crankshaft, main), are located and need a coating of protective oil so they don't corrode during the off season. Just run your motor and spray fogging oil in each intake until motor smokes, turn motor off, remove spark plugs and spray fogging oil in each hole, crank motor over a few times to distribute oil, replace plugs. This will protect your motor internal parts. Good Luck!

Comment

Guys,

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like the right thing to do is remove the silencer assembly and fog the intake ports, along w/ removing the spark plugs and fogging/turning over the engine.

Comment

Yep, there's nothing to it, and it'll protect your motor's shiny internal parts during the off-season, and it's not going to hurt your injectors or anything else for that matter. After you fog it don't be alarmed if you see some black oily stuff dripping out of your exhaust area, it's just that fogging oil.

Comment

Guys,

Bear w/ me, I'm new to servicing this OB. Once I remove the silencer assembly, is it obvious where to spray the fogging oil?

TIA,

Jeff

Comment

Working...
            X