2001-ox66 250 fuel consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001-ox66 250 fuel consumption

I have twin 250's on Jupiter 31. The fuel management indicatees the starboard engine is burning 40% more fuel at same RPM as Port Engine. I also smell "raw" gas in exhaust.Maximum RPM's for this engine is 4700 compared to port at 5300 I have cleaned the O2 sensor, replace spark plugs and continue to run Ring free in fuel. Any suggestions.

if the sensor is bad, cleaning it will not help. either you can test or have a mechanic test it, i know that if they dont have the necessary heat "range" they do not perform correctly. from fl ??

Comment

Yes. Lake Worth
      I cleaned o2 sensors on both engines then swiched them to confirm that was not the problem. I also replace thermostats in starboard engine and changed fuel filters. No change. I burn 11.0 gallons per hr. @3000RPM'S Port 14 gallons per hour @3000 RPM's starboard. fuel consumption in total is confirmed at fillup!!

any suggestions??

Comment

lw local huh...this wouldnt happen to be frank would it.... i`m no spe******t altho i have the ox66`s also. i do have a friend that worked tuppens for 6 yrs and now out of boynton, if you want his ## let me know. he does house calls.

Comment

Jupiter 31, I'm going through a similar problem with the 225 efi's where my starboard engine burns about 15-17% more fuel than the port engine. I've replaced o2 sensors, plugs, fuel pumps etc. with no luck. What I then did is pull the plugs and found the middle plug on the starboard side was fouled, when I replaced that with a new one the problem was solved for a few hours until that plug also fouled. Why don't you try looking at all the plugs on the thirsty engine and if you see a bad one, replace it then immediately compare your fuel burn. In my case it solved the problem. What I have to figure out now is what is causing that starboard middle plug to foul. I suspect it could be the ignition coil, but my mechanic says they don't likely go bad. Anyway good luck, I'll probably replace the coil and if it solves the problem I'll let you know. Ronzoe

Comment

Finally got a certified mechanic out to look at the problem. A compression check showed the #2 cylinder has a problem. currently in shop for new power head!!!
            No, I'm not Frank..He now owns a Preditor by Egg Harbor!!

Comment

sorry to hear a cylinder/powerhead, never any fun specially in the summertime. last time i saw frank i think he had a jupiter, but does he keep the new boat on the lw spillway...think i saw him there... good luck with the motor.

Comment

Working...
              X