Motor rattling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor rattling

Have 200 HPDI 2000 model & it rattles in the lower unit area, only when you put it in gear. Foward or reverse, dosent matter,High Rpms noise goes away. Took it to dealer he thought ring free would help. It has not! Does anyone know of this problem

I just bought a '05 Yamaha 150. I took it to the lake to break it in. The boat was cavitating real bad and would not get on plane. I found out the dealer gave me a cheasy stainless prop. So I requested a 15-1/4 x 15 Yamaha Prop. Took the boat on the lake today and noticed "knocking" or "rattling" coming from lower unit...only in low RPM'S, forward and reverse. Once I got over 1000 RPM's, noise went away.

Could it be the new prop? Could it be a bad lower unit?

Comment

if im not mistaken, sounds like water rattling / air releasing from your prop.

Comment

I posted a similar concern with my F115 on June 2.

I have seached several other forums, and even tried different props. Seems the general concensus is that heavier (namely stainless steel) props can cause this "gear chatter", other than an annoyance I don't think it causes a problem. I have checked with my local dealer as well.

Try putting on an aluminum prop and see if the noise is gone.

Comment

So much for my "quiet" 4-stroke!

I was hoping to "creap" up onto my fishing holes, now I have to use the paddle again...

Comment

Working...
          X