Powerhead exchange question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powerhead exchange question

I have a 1988 model Yamaha L150ETXG on the boat I just purchased. The previous owner stated that one cylinder lost compression after the oil pump gave out. Motor turns over fine. My neighbor has a 1989 model 175ETXF that has a problem with the lower unit. Stuck in Forward and cant find neutral or reverse. Mechanic said it would be major work to rebuild that model. The powerhead only has 15 hours on the rebuild. My question is this--- Will that model 175 powerhead replace my 150 powerhead or do I have to replace my powerhead with another 150? Thanks for the input.. JON
    Last edited by jdj123jdj123; 09-05-2010, 06:12 PM.

Thanks- You made my day. Guess I have a Labor Day Project now.

Comment

Would it be easier to put your lower unit on his motor and put that on your boat? at least the motor tags would still be correct.

Comment

I am gonna take them both to a mechanic. Ill let him decide. I am not an outboard mechanic. Thanks JON

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          Would it be easier to put your lower unit on his motor and put that on your boat? at least the motor tags would still be correct.
          Change the shift rod in your buddy's motor and save yours for parts

Comment

It does sound like the shift rod may have rusted in two on the 175, probably will need to pull power head to change rod but sounds like the bolts should come out easy if it was just rebuilt

Comment

Working...
            X