97 150 2 Stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 150 2 Stroke

I'm getting an alarm and rpm reduction after running for 10 minutes. It will go away if I shut down and restart, but comes back eventually. I'm having trouble finding a Yamaha shop that's not flat out and with the July 4 weekend coming I may have to troubleshoot this myself. I don't have a manual but assume it's either oil related or over heating. Any ideas?

If you have Yamaha gauges with warning lights you can tell if it's overheat or low oil warning. If not then check the oil level on engine oil tank, if at the lower line on tank then it's an oil delivery problem, if the cylinder heads are over 180 degrees then it's overheat and check battery cable connections, loose or corroded cables will cause an alarm.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Robr,
      Sounds like an overheat condition putting the motor into rpm reduction mode. There are two thermo switches - one mounted in each head assy that are designed to close at around 185 degrees. You can pull them and test with a thermometer in a pan of heated water and watch for closure using an ohm meter. I have seen them go bad and close as soon as 130 degrees, giving a false overheat condition.
      Assuming you have an overheat condition, it could be from a weak water pump, bad thermostats, or clogged up water jackets. You really need a Yamaha shop manual to guide you along.
      Good luck,
      Ken K

Comment

If I knew I was not having oil issues and it was an definitely an overheat issue the first thing I'd try is to remove the thermostats and give it test ride. If that didn't work I'd start looking at the water pump, then the jackets and finally the thermo-switches....PS If the thermostats turn out to be the issue and the outboard shop is closed, I've found that they can be "temporarily optional"...(I'm not recommending it but I've run for a while now without thermostats)

Comment

Working...
        X