Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 yamaha 15 hp - exhaust ?

Hello,

my son salvaged an older motor and I've gotten it running after swapping this site some cash for parts :-)

I initially was not getting any cooling water flow and had pulled the t-stat cover and the hose coming off the exhaust cover plate (left side of engine to the tale-tell )and back flushed these areas in hopes of clearing a potential clog. When I first started these flushes, I'd flush a bit, then run the engine to look for flow. (Had the engine in a water barrel.) On initial runs, it seemed that nothing at all came out of the open t-stat area or the exhaust plate fitting. After several flushes / motor runs however, I started to see some engine exhaust blowing out of these areas when I ran it. After a couple more flushes, you'd almost think they were mufflers with the amount of exhaust that blew out of them. I never did get water flow though, so I revisited my pump.

I found out that i didn't have a clog after all - I had misaligned the tube for the water pump during asembly and it was not in the pump discharge. (dont ask....)

So, with plumbing now hooked to the pump, I saw plenty of water flow out both the t-stat opening and the exhaust cover port when running the motor - but I also had plenty of engine exhaust blowing out of them at the same time.

Is this right? Should I have engine exhaust communicating with these areas? It doesn't seem right and I dont want to ruin the engine by getting water in it. I tried to pull head and exhaust plates to check things out, but most of the bolts are froze and will break if I put much more on them, so I don't wont to go there just yet. I fear I blew a gasket somewhere when I was doing my flushes.

Any info on the cooling system and if engine exhaust should be getting to these areas would be appreciated.

Dale

Running it a barrel you might see some exhaust since the water pickup is just above prop where exhaust comes out. Check compression of engine to see if has a blown head gasket, make sure rubber grommets on water tubes in water pump and pickup screen are good.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X